Want to Make History (Captivating)?
CaptivaTour is looking for writers and editors, who love Indian history and culture, to work with us!
Who are we?
We are CaptivaTour, a bold new startup that’s transforming the way tourists experience local history and culture. CaptivaTour makes mobile audio guides for historical and cultural sites in leading tourist destinations.
Who are our customers and what is their problem?
We believe the curious, intelligent, smartphone-carrying traveler of today deserves an infinitely better experience than what she’s currently getting.
Her current options are:
- Dull, sleep-inducing government info signboards
- Incredulity-testing local-site guides who don’t bother letting facts come in the way of a good, manufactured story
- Pushy city guides, who are more interested in recommending the best place for them to earn a commission, for her to shop
- On-site audio guides, which admittedly can be decent, but without site-maps, without pictures, without tour options and without an engaging story, are like using an ol’ Nokia phone when an iPhone 6 is available (at the same price!)
What is our solution?
CaptivaTour mobile audio tours are the best way to experience a monument/cultural site. Our product’s unique strengths are:
- Engaging story: Highly engaging story-based approach that goes beyond narrating historical facts and events and makes it relevant, interesting to the contemporary international traveler.
- Visuals & music: We go beyond just voice and add tons of pictures, paintings, maps etc. that bring the story alive. Music is also used to accentuate the drama!
- Customised tours: We realise that every traveler is different and accordingly have three options for every tour (differing in duration and coverage).
These tours are packaged in a simple, gorgeous looking app that is highly user-friendly.
Our app is getting great reviews from genuine delighted travelers – check out some of thetestimonials.
Where do you come in?
We started off with five tours – of the most visited monuments in India. But we want more!
For the next tourist season, we plan to offer a wide smorgasbord of historical and cultural experiences in our chosen market – the Delhi-Agra-Jaipur circuit.
Our offerings would go beyond monument tours, and include the following:
- Walks of iconic neighbourhoods (e.g. Old Delhi, Lutyen’s Delhi, Jaipur Old City)
- Food walks (e.g. the best parathas in Delhi)
- India’s religions – a beginner’s guide
- Cultural quirks of India
What kind of people are we looking for?
We are looking for great storytellers. Having said that, the following would be useful:
- Writing experience, especially long-form and for high-quality, popular media such as Scroll, Mint, Caravan
- Passion for history and culture
- Ability to do fairly detailed research (our tours require reading multiple books about the subject)
- Ability to weave the story in a coherent manner (typically tour content length ranges from 5,000 to 15,000 words)
- Ability to work in tight deadlines
- Being located in Delhi/Agra/Jaipur would be a bonus
Does CaptivaTour pay, or is it all about the joy?
We believe that great work is its own reward.
We realize however, that good beer costs money. So you can expect compensation that is commensurate with your experience and ability.
Ok maybe slightly lesser than that. C’mon we’re a startup! And remember – that feeling of joy you’ll get on publishing a great tour that would be enjoyed by thousands of travelers? Priceless.
Is this full-time or part-time work?
As of now we are looking for part-time/freelance writers and editors. However if we mutually feel so, we can explore full-time options too.
How to apply?
Please send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Your preferred area of work – editing or writing (or both!)
- Samples of your work (preferably in the history/culture/food writing domain)
- Your background (education, work experience)
- Any current work/time constraints
In case of any queries you can send them at the above email address.
Let’s make history (captivating)!